Asked Questions
SF Health Network
Environmental Health

Food Safety Program: Temporary Food Facilities (TFF)

A temporary food facility (TFF) is any person (or organization) intending to sell, give away, or sample food to the public from a fixed location for a period of time, not to exceed 25 days in a 90-day period, in conjunction with a community event.

Obtaining a Permit

In order for SFDPH to give initial approval for the event, please collect the following items for the application packet:

  • Site map (indicating temporary food facilities, mobile food facilities, restroom locations, and grey water disposal)
  • List of Temporary Food Facilities (indicate multiple booths) and mobile food facilities
  • Completed Sponsor Organizer Application (pdf)
  • Completed TFF Concessionaire Application (pdf) for each temporary food facility
    Please be sure the facilities have completed the entirety of their concessionaire applications.
  • SFDPH staff will calculate the fees during the meeting so please bring a blank check for associated fees made out to SFDPH

After completion, please schedule an appointment with SFDPH to meet and discuss the event, review the application packet, and complete associated fees at least 14 days prior to the event. Please send any other correspondence to:

  • Environmental Health Section
  • Attn: Food Safety Program
  • 1390 Market Street, Suite 210
  • San Francisco, CA 94102
  1. Temporary Food Facilities at Special Events
  2. Each TFF requires a permit in addition to the permit obtained by the sponsor controlling the event. The sponsor is responsible for complaince at each event as well as the timely submission of all applications, fees and site plan. To help calculate the total fees due, review the fee worksheet (pdf). Also available in Spanish (pdf).

    1. Sponsor Organizer Application (pdf)
    2. Food Concessionaire Application to be completed by each TFF. The application is available in the following languages:


  3. Farmers Markets
  4. TFFs at farmers markets must also obtain a permit to operate. To help calculate the total fees due, review the Farmers Market Fee Worksheet (Spanish). (pdf)

    1. Farmers Market Sponsor Application (pdf)
    2. Farmers Market Concessionaire Application (pdf) to be completed by each TFF.
      Spanish (pdf)


  5. Body Arts at Special Events
  6. If there will be body art or body modification booths at the event, the sponsor and individual vendor(s) must apply for a permit. Please contact the Health Department's Tattoo, Body Piercing and Permanent Cosmetics Program for any additional requirements.

    1. Temporary events sponsor application to operate body art booth (pdf)
    2. Body Art Vendor Application (pdf) to be completed by each vendor.


    Important Deadlines for Special Event Permits

    14 Days or More Prior to the Event: All completed applications and fees must be received.

    13 Days Prior to the Event: All completed applications will be assessed a 50% late fee.

    7 Days Prior to the Event: Applications will be denied and no food or beverage servce shall be allowed.

Related Agencies

Other permits or approvals may be required by the following agencies for temporary food facilities:

  • San Francisco Fire Department (open flame or a generator used) - (415) 558-3300.
  • San Francisco Department of Public Works (sidewalk used) - (415) 554-5810.
  • State ABC (alcohol sales) - (415) 356-6500.
  • San Francisco Police Department (public property used) - (415) 553-1115.
  • San Francisco Recreation and Parks (park property used) - (415) 831-5500.
  • SF Department of Public Health's Tattoo, Body Piercing and Permanent Cosmetic program (body modification permits (i.e. tattoos) required) - (415) 252-3971.
  • San Francisco Recycling Board (recycling) - (415) 554-3434.