Food Safety Program: Temporary and Special Events
Food Handling Requirements
- All food that is sold, given away, or dispensed from a Temporary food facility shall be from an approved source. (e.g., licensed wholesale or retail food facilities.) No food prepared or stored in a private home may be used, stored, served, offered for sale, sold or given away.
- Raw oysters must be obtained from certified oyster beds. Shipping tags must be maintained on site for up to ninety days of harvest.
- Mushroom species picked in the wild may not be offered for human consumption unless each mushroom is inspected and found to be safe by a mushroom identification expert approved by the Health Department.
- For more information on potentially hazardous foods, click here. (pdf)
- Must be in good health.
- Wear clean outer garments (i.e. aprons) and restrain hair.
- Must wash their hands with soap and warm water prior to the start of food preparation activities, after using the toilet, after smoking, eating and whenever necessary to prevent contamination of food.
- Must not eat in food-related areas.
- Shall not commit any act that may result in the contamination or adulteration of food, food contact surfaces, or utensils.
Temperature Control Methods
- Cold Foods must be held at 45 degrees Fahrenheit or below for up to 12 hours in a 24-hour period. At the end of the operating day, these foods shall be placed in refrigeration units that maintain the food at or below 41 degrees Fahrenheit or the food shall be destroyed in a manner approved by SF Environmental Health.
- Hot Foods must be held at 135 degrees Fahrenheit or above. At the end of each operating day, these foods shall be destroyed in a manner that is approved by SF Environmental Health or may be donated to a local Food Bank or other non-profit charitable organization in accordance to Article 7 of the California Retail Food Code (CRC). Foods may not be reserved in the food booth.
- Ice Restrictions - Ice used for refrigeration purposes may not be used for consumption in food or beverages.
- Conditions of Transport - During transportation to and from the food facility/booth and during the operation of the facility, all food, contact surfaces, and utensils shall be protected from contamination.
- Smoking - Smoking is prohibited in food booths.
- Display of Unpackaged Goods - Unpackaged foods may not be displayed or stored at the service counters.