Water Quality: Swimming Pools & Spas
Plan Review Approval for New Construction of Swimming Pools and Spa Pools
Submit the following four items to:
Department of Public Health
Environmental Health Management Section
Attention: Water Quality Health Inspector
1390 Market Street, Ste. 210
San Francisco, CA 94102
- Deposit for review of plans
- Detailed construction plans
- Pool/Spa Data Sheet.
- An application for a permit to operate a public swimming pool or spa pool. Include a one time application fee. See the Helpful Links for fee information. Make check payable to the Department of Public Health.
Once the above submittals have been reviewed and approved by the Department of Public Health, the Health Department will sign approval for the Building Permit in the following manner:
- The City and County of San Francisco has a central plan review process where by all plans are submitted to the Department of Building Inspections (SFDBI) for issuance of a building permit. The architectural drawings for the swimming pool/spa pool and ancillary areas are submitted to SFDBI and officially routed to the Health Department for approval. Separate, plumbing, and electrical permits are also obtained from the SFDBI for the actual construction of the pool or spa. The Department of Building Inspections is located at 1660 Mission Street.
- During construction, contact this office to schedule site inspections prior to gunniting, plastering, covering/backfilling any piping, or placing the pool or spa into operation.
- Prior to the scheduling of the construction final inspection, the application for the Permit to Operate and the one time filing fee must be submitted to the Health Department.
For any questions regarding the above information, contact Water Quality Program at 415-252-3849.