Retail Tobacco Sales Permit Program
The Tobacco Sales Permit Program ensures that all facilities selling tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, have valid permits to operate. The San Francisco Tobacco Control Laws have been shown to dramatically reduce illegal sales to minors.
Principal Activities and Services
- Issue permits to all businesses selling tobacco products and e-cigarettes.
- Monitor and enforce illegal sales of tobacco, including e-cigarettes, to minors.
- Enforce the prohibition of mobile tobacco and e-cigarette sales in San Francisco.
Obtaining a Permit
Businesses engaging in the sale, delivery, furnishing or marketing of tobacco, tobacco paraphernalia and e-cigarettes from one person to another in San Francisco require a permit. This permit must be renewed annually with an annual permit fee.
Businesses also require a permit from the State Board of Equalization, which is intended to insure the proper collection of tobacco taxes. Mobile tobacco sales are prohibited in the state of California.
To apply for a permit through the Department of Public Health, fill out the forms below and include a check for the Permit Fee payable to the San Francisco Department of Public Health. Send or bring all application materials and fee to:
- Environmental Health Branch
- Attention: Tobacco Sales Permits
- 1390 Market St., Suite 210
- San Francisco, CA 94102
- Application Packet for the Sale of Tobacco Products (pdf) - This packet includes the primary application form, a Labor Law Checklist for SF Business Owners, a Declaration of Healthy and Safe Working Conditions and the Workers' Compensation Declaration form.
Making a Complaint
If you would like to make a complaint regarding the illegal sale of tobacco to minors or a related tobacoo sales complaint, call 311 or click here.