Asked Questions
SF Health Network
Environmental Health

Helpful Links

Permit Fees


California cigarette & tobacco products licensing act of 2003


San Francisco Health Code, Article 19H


San Francisco Health Code, Article 19 San Francisco Smoking Pollution Control


Tobacco Free Project Website



Related Programs

Air Quality Home Page


Secondhand Smoke Prevention

Program Contact

Larry Kessler

Senior Environmental Health Inspector

Phone: (415) 252-3841

Retail Tobacco Sales Permit Program

The Tobacco Sales Permit Program ensures that all facilities selling tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, have valid permits to operate. The San Francisco Tobacco Control Laws have been shown to dramatically reduce illegal sales to minors.


Principal Activities and Services

  • Issue permits to all businesses selling tobacco products and e-cigarettes.
  • Monitor and enforce illegal sales of tobacco, including e-cigarettes, to minors.
  • Enforce the prohibition of mobile tobacco and e-cigarette sales in San Francisco.


Obtaining a Permit

Businesses engaging in the sale, delivery, furnishing or marketing of tobacco, tobacco paraphernalia and e-cigarettes from one person to another in San Francisco require a permit. This permit must be renewed annually with an annual permit fee.


Businesses also require a permit from the State Board of Equalization, which is intended to insure the proper collection of tobacco taxes. Mobile tobacco sales are prohibited in the state of California.


To apply for a permit through the Department of Public Health, fill out the forms below and include a check for the Permit Fee payable to the San Francisco Department of Public Health. Send or bring all application materials and fee to:

  • Environmental Health Branch
  • Attention: Tobacco Sales Permits
  • 1390 Market St., Suite 210
  • San Francisco, CA 94102
Application Form
  • Application Packet for the Sale of Tobacco Products (pdf) - This packet includes the primary application form, a Labor Law Checklist for SF Business Owners, a Declaration of Healthy and Safe Working Conditions and the Workers' Compensation Declaration form.


Making a Complaint

If you would like to make a complaint regarding the illegal sale of tobacco to minors or a related tobacoo sales complaint, call 311 or click here.