Housing and Urban Health
Direct Access to Housing
Access and Referral
DAH’s success relies on SFDPH-HUH’s ability to place clients in the setting most appropriate to their needs. DAH’s varied portfolio of housing sites and individual referral prioritization system allows for tailored placement based on clinical needs of the population. In collaboration with Placement and the Transitions Management, the DAH Access and Referral Team (DART) works with San Francisco service providers to create a pool of potential housing applicants prioritized for housing based on their:
- Level of medical acuity
- Substance use severity
- Homeless situation
- Match between clients' needs and available on-site services
- Availability and match of a DAH unit
Upon identifying a match between an available unit and a potential applicant, the DAH Intake Team initiates the DAH application process via the referring case manager. DART staff supports the referring case manager throughout the specific housing site application process. Housing sites have site specific paperwork, documentation and tenant selection process, in addition to the DAH Application form. Property Management at the housing site determines all applicant housing outcomes based on resident selection criteria.
Are you a case manager ready to refer a client?
If you would like to refer an appropriate client to the DAH program, please:
- Review the DAH Access and Referral Procedure Presentation for an overview of recent changes.
- Review DAH's Access and Referral Procedure.
- Review and print the Checklist of Referring Case Manager Responsibilities. DAH developed this list to assure that case managers give their clients the support they need throughout the application process and during/after move-in.
- Review, complete, and submit the DAH Clinical Referral Form AND the Placement Authorization Form for your client. Forms must be completed electronically and emailed to DPH Placement at DAH@sfdph.org.
NOTE: The DAH program does not accept client self-referrals. Applicants must be referred by case managers.