Health Reform and You
The Affordable Care Act and San Francisco General Hospital Patients
Starting in January 2014, the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, will take effect nationwide. It is a federal law that will make health insurance easier to get for more people. Most Americans will be required to be insured.
Basic Facts about the Affordable Care Act:
- It will require most Americans to have health insurance, or pay a fine.
- More low-income Californians will qualify for insurance through Medi-Cal.
- Californians can purchase health insurance through Covered California, and many will qualify for financial assistance.
- No one can be denied health insurance coverage because of pre-existing conditions.
If you are a San Francisco General Hospital patient, here’s what you should know:
- You can keep seeing your doctor and care team. We will still be here for you.
- If you already have insurance, Medicare or Medi-Cal, you don't have to do anything.
- If you are uninsured or have Healthy San Francisco or SF Path, you may be able to become insured. Having insurance or Medi-Cal will be better for you.
- If you are eligible for insurance, it is required and we can help: Make and appointment with our SFGH Eligibility Office by calling 415.206.7800 or visit the Healthy San Francisco website for more information.
- Healthy San Francisco is not going away. If you do not qualify for insurance or Medi-Cal, Healthy San Francisco will be here for you.
- We are working hard to reduce wait times and improve service, and hope you will choose to stay with San Francisco General Hospital!
- Ask your enrollment specialist how to pick the right plan for you.
Step 1: Learn More
Choose an option below to learn more about your health coverage options.
Step 2: Schedule an Appointment
Schedule an appointment at an enrollment site to sign up, or change your coverage.
Healthy San Francisco Enrollment Sites
Complete list of all enrollment sites.
SFDPH Eligibility Enrollment Unit Locations
2789 25th Street, Room 2004 map and directions
Mon-Fri: 8AM to 5PM
Walk in hours: 8-10AM
San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center map and directions
1001 Potrero Ave.
Ward 15 (Building 10, 5th Floor, Room 1523) SFGH campus map
Mon-Fri: 8AM to 5PM
Walk in hours: 8-11AM, 1-3PM
Do NOT email the Community Health Network if you wish to inquire about ANY medical situation or problem. Instead, please call San Francisco General Hospital at 415-206-8000
Any email question may not be read right away. For issues or questions other than medically related, you may email the Community Health Network