Records, Permits & Licensing
Department of Public Health Office of Vital Records
Mail Order Instructions
When requesting a birth or death certificate by mail:
- Make sure the event (birth/death) occurred in San Francisco.
- Be aware that the Health and Safety Code directs our office to charge a fee for every name that we search, whether or not a vital record is found.
- Complete the application thoroughly and if you are requesting a Certified Authorized copy, you must have the application notarized where indicated.
- If you want the order expedited, please enclose a pre-paid, pre-addressed expedite envelope from the courier (FedEx, UPS, USPS) of your choice. Then, add expedite fee of $15 to your total.
- Fees: $20 per birth certificate (BC) and $16 per death certificate (DC).
- Send a money order made payable to: SFDPH. If you want to use a MasterCard or Visa, enter the information on this downloadable form, cut the form away from the page, and attach it to your application(s).
- Mail to: SFDPH OVR, 101 GROVE ST, ROOM 105, SAN FRANCISCO, 94102
- Application is enclosed (& Notarized if necessary)
- Self-Addressed, stamped Envelope is enclosed
- Expedite fee is added for expedite orders.
Return to the previous page