Asked Questions
SF Health Network
Environmental Health

Helpful Links

311 Customer Service Center

Environmental Health Homepage


Monday - Friday, 8:30am - Noon & 1:00 - 4:30pm


1390 Market Street, Suite 210

San Francisco, CA 94102

Contact Information

Office: (415) 252-3800

Fax: (415) 252-3875

Related Documents

Environmental Health Complaints History (pdf)

Response Procedures for Complaints (pdf)

How to Make a Complaint

Environmental health staff can help residents address many health nuisances and hazards in housing, neighborhoods, commercial and government buildings, and industrial settings. These nuisances and hazards include:

  • Secondhand smoke inside businesses and apartments
  • Contaminated water
  • Excessive noise
  • Garbage and refuse
  • Lead, asbestos, pesticides, and other chemical hazards
  • Mold and other indoor air quality issues
  • Pests and disease vectors including mice, rats, mosquitoes, birds, and bedbugs
  • Unsafe food or unsanitary food preparation conditions
  • Retail tobacco and medical cannabis dispensaries
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Overgrown vegetation/weeds
  • Laundry hygiene
  • Massage parlor hygiene
  • Environmental odors

The process for how complaints are handled by the Environmental Health Section is illustrated here (pdf).

To Make a Complaint

You can make a complaint by doing one of the following options:

  1. Contact the 311 Customer Service Center anytime (24/7) by dialing 311 (within San Francisco) or (415) 701-2311 (outside San Francisco), or
  2. Go to the  311 Customer service center website at, or
  3. Email a service request to, or
  4. Contact SFDPH Environmental Health Staff by phone at (415) 252-3800


When making your complaint, be prepared to provide the following information:

  1. Name and contact information
  2. Property address and type
  3. Additional information relevant to the concern or complaint


Please note: Records of public complaints are public records; however, the Environmental Health Department generally does not share the name of a person making a public complaint.