News & Media |  Donate  |  Contact Us | 
Asked Questions
San Francisco Health Network
Environmental Health

Helpful Links


Tobacco Permits

Tobacco 21

Flavored Tobacco

Smoke Prevention

Listening Sessions

Permit Fees


San Francisco Health Code:

Article 19F -- Smoking Prohibition in Certain Places

Article 19H -- Tobacco Sales

19H Rules and Regulations (pdf)

19H Affidavit (pdf)

19H.19(a) Suspension Reduction Pilot (pdf)

Article 19P -- Tobacco 21

Article 19Q -- Flavored Tobacco

Flavored Tobacco Fact Sheet (pdf)


Please Note:
  1. Fees are non-refundable.
  2. Bounced check fees are $50.00
  3. We do not accept cash.
  4. You are responsible for paying your yearly tobacco license fee.


Program Contact

(415) 252-3800

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I find out how the tobacco retail density ordinance was passed?

The Board of Supervisors Legislative Research Center shows the history of the legislation from the time it was introduced in October 2014, to when it was finally signed in December 2014.


What resources are available for secondhand smoke prevention in San Francisco?

Please refer to our Secondhand Smoke Prevention web page for an overview of rules, policies and resources.


Are there resources available for landlords who want to prohibit smoking in their rental properties?

ChangeLab Solutions has a fact sheet that describes how landlords and property managers can protect tenants from exposure to secondhand smoke by prohibiting smoking in common areas and in individual rental units.


How do I get information on stopping smoking?

The Tobacco Free Project has information on quitting, including how you can get a free quit kit, find a support group, or get information from a help line.


How do I verify a permit or license?

The California State Board of Equalization website has tools to verify a tobacco permit or license.


How can I figure out the Board of Supervisor's district for my location?

Enter any address into the San Francisco Districts Lookup tool to find the Supervisor District for the location.




How do I make a complaint?

If you would like to make a complaint regarding tobacco or smoking, call 311.






311 City Customer Service Agency - Service 24x7

San Francisco Department of Public Health Environmental Health Branch