Asked Questions
SF Health Network
Environmental Health

Helpful Links

San Francisco Health Code:

Article 12A Backflow

Article 12B Borings & Wells

Article 12C Alternate Water

Article 15 Pools and spas

California Codes

Title 17 Chapter 5

Pool Codes

Other Websites

CDC's Healthy Swimming

SFPUC Beach Water Quality

CA Dept Water Resources

Related Documents

Well Definitions

Non-Potable Rules and Regs (pdf)

Water Document Archive

SFDPH Fee Schedule

Water Quality Program

The goal of the Water Quality Program is to ensure safe water for recreational, nonpotable and potable uses. Unsafe water can lead to a bacterial or viral infection, particularly in vulnerable populations such as young children. Maintaining safe conditions in recreational swimming pools and spas helps prevent drowning and the spread of infectious diseases.



Principal Water Program Activities and Services

Cross Connection Control Program and Backflow Assembly Tester Certification

  Preventing contamination of drinking water with unsafe water sources

Alternate Water Source Systems and Nonpotable Projects

  On-site treatment and reuse of alternate water types including rainwater, stormwater, foundation drainage, graywater, and blackwater

Compostable Toilets

  Information submittal for pilot installations of compostable toilets in selected non-residential settings (all plumbing in private residences is permitted through SFDBI)

Swimming Pools and Spa Permitting

  Applications, permits and information on regulation of swimming pools and spas

Beach Water Quality Monitoring

  Collaborative work with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission to monitor beach water quality

Well Construction/Destruction Permits

  Applications, permits and information on regulation of wells and soil borings

Cryptosporidiosis Surveillance Project

  Active laboratory surveillance for confirmed cryptosporidiosis in the counties served by SFPUC.



Related Agencies

Department of Public Works

Department of Building Inspection

San Francisco Public Utilities Commission




Making a Complaint

If you would like to make a complaint regarding water permits, you may call 311.

311 City Customer Service Agency - Service 24x7

San Francisco Department of Public Health Environmental Health Branch