News & Media |  Donate  |  Contact Us | 
Asked Questions
San Francisco Health Network

We're moving to, a user-centered, services-first, accessible website.

Environmental Health

Helpful Links

311 Customer Service

Environmental Health


49 South Van Ness Ave.

San Francisco, CA 94103

Contact Information

Office: (415) 252-3800


How to Make a Complaint

Environmental health staff can help with complaints about:

  • Secondhand smoke inside businesses and apartments
  • Excessive noise from fixed mechanical equipment such as fans and rooftop HVAC
  • Garbage and refuse
  • Lead, pesticides, and other chemical hazards
  • Mold and other indoor air quality issues
  • Pests and disease vectors including mice, rats, mosquitoes, birds, and bedbugs
  • Unsafe food or unsanitary food preparation conditions
  • Retail tobacco and medical cannabis dispensaries
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Overgrown vegetation/weeds
  • Laundry hygiene
  • Massage parlor hygiene


To Make a Complaint

You can make a complaint by doing one of the following options:

  1. Call the 311 Customer Service Center anytime (24/7) by dialing 311 (within San Francisco) or (415) 701-2311 (outside San Francisco), or
  2. Go to theĀ  311 Customer service center website.

When making your complaint, be prepared to provide the following information:

  1. Name and contact information
  2. Property address and type
  3. Additional information about your concern or complaint


After 311 routes your call to EH, most complaints are handled in the complaint process illustrated here (pdf).


Please note: Records of public complaints are public records; however, the Environmental Health Branch generally does not share the name of a person making a public complaint.




311 City Customer Service Agency - Service 24x7

San Francisco Department of Public Health Environmental Health Branch