Knowledge Sharing & Collaboration
Health Care Services Master Plan Task Force
Health Care Services Master Plan Update
On Thursday, September 19, 2013, the revised draft of the HCSMP was presented to a special joint meeting of the San Francisco Health Commission and the San Francisco Planning Commission. At this meeting both the Planning and Health Commission resolved to recommend adoption of the HCSMP by the Board of Supervisors.
On October 8th, 2013 the revised draft of the HCSMP was introduced to the Board of Supervisors for their approval.
The revised draft of the HCSMP is available here.
HCSMP Task Force Report
The Health Care Services Master Plan (HCSMP) Task Force has concluded its series of public meetings in the community. The Task Force, in partnership with the San Francisco Department of Public Health, has finalized its report, available here. This report documents the work of the Task Force and presents a series of recommendations intended to guide the San Francisco Departments of Public Health and Planning as they develop a more expansive HCSMP for San Francisco.
HCSMP Task Force Creation
Effective January 2, 2011, San Francisco Ordinance No. 300-10 requires the creation of a Health Care Services Master Plan (HCSMP). The HCSMP is intended to identify the current and projected needs for – and locations of – health care services within San Francisco; the HCSMP will also include recommendations on how to achieve and maintain appropriate distribution of and equitable access to health care services. To inform the HCSMP’s development, the San Francisco Department of Public Health) convened a HCSMP Task Force whose membership reflected a broad range of community stakeholders.
Dr. Tomás Aragón, SFDPH Health Officer, and Ms. Roma Guy co-chaired the HCSMP Task Force. The Task Force:
- Reviewed quantitative data, research, and analysis compiled by SFDPH and the San Francisco Planning Department,
- Provided expertise regarding health care in San Francisco,
- Solicited community participation and receive public comment, and
- Developed recommendations for consideration by SFDPH and the San Francisco Planning Department as they develop the HCSMP; recommendations will incorporate community feedback.
The HCSMP Task Force members focused their discussions on access to health care services, with a specific emphasis on underserved populations. A complete HCSMP Task Force roster can be found here.
HCSMP Task Force Meetings
To maximize opportunities for community engagement, the HCSMP Task Force met 10 times between July 2011 and May 2012.Four Task Force meetings took place in different San Francisco neighborhoods to provide greater opportunity for public comment. All Issue Meetings – as well as the first and final full Task Force meetings – took place at San Francisco City Hall. Task Force meetings occurred as follows:
- Launch Meeting: Thursday, July 27, 2011 from 2-4:30pm at San Francisco City Hall, Room 305.
- Neighborhood Meeting (Bernal Heights, Mission, Excelsior): Thursday, September 22, 2011 from 5-7:30pm at the Bernal Heights Neighborhood Center (515 Cortland Ave. @ Andover).
- Issue Meeting (Impact of Health Care Reform + 1115 Waiver on Patient Demand and Facility Capacity): Thursday, October 27, 2011 from 2-4:30pm at San Francisco City Hall, Room 305.
- Neighborhood Meeting (Chinatown, Tenderloin, SOMA, Civic Center): Saturday, December 3, 2011 from 10am-12:30pm at the Gordon J. Lau Elementary School Cafeteria (950 Clay St. @ Stockton St./Collier St.).
- Issue Meeting (Health Care Financing): Thursday, December 22, 2011 from 2-4:30pm at San Francisco City Hall, Room 305.
- Neighborhood Meeting (Western Addition, Richmond, Sunset): Thursday, January 26, 2012 from 5-7:30pm at the African American Art and Culture Complex (762 Fulton St. @ Webster), Hall of Culture (3rd Floor).
- Issue Meeting (Health Care Technology + Innovation): Thursday, February 23, 2012 from 2-4:30pm at San Francisco City Hall, Room 305.
- Neighborhood Meeting (Bayview - Hunters Point and Visitacion Valley): Thursday, March 22, 2012 from 5-7:30pm at the Southeast Community Facility (1800 Oakdale Ave. @ Phelps St.) in the Alex L. Pitcher, Jr. Community Room.
- Issue Meeting (Connectivity): Thursday, April 26, 2012 from 2-4:30pm at San Francisco City Hall, Room 305.
- Final Meeting: Thursday, May 24, 2012 from 2-4:30pm at San Francisco City Hall, Room 305
Public Comment During HCSMP Task Force Meetings
All HCSMP Task Force meetings were open to the public and allowed substantive time for public comment. To ensure equal access to Task Force discussion, all meetings were held in accessible locations, and SFDPH provided interpretation services in Spanish and Cantonese at all neighborhood meetings as well as at the final Task Force meeting; other interpretation services were available upon request. To accommodate individuals unable to attend Task Force meetings, SFDPH, on behalf of the Task Force, accepted public comment via email.
Full Task Force & Neighborhood Meeting Materials
HCSMP TF Agenda (July 27, 2011)
HCSMP TF Agenda (September 22, 2011)
HCSMP TF Agenda (December 3, 2011)
HCSMP TF Agenda (January 26, 2012)
HCSMP TF Agenda (May 24, 2012)
Issue Meeting Materials
Issue Meeting 1 Agenda: Health Reform + 1115 Waiver (October 27, 2011)
Issue Meeting 2 Agenda: Health Care Finance (December 22, 2011)
Issue Meeting 3 Agenda: Health Information Technology (HIT) + Innovation (February 23, 2012)
Issue Meeting 4 Agenda: Connectivity (April 26, 2012)