Children’s Environmental Health Promotion Program
The Children's Environmental Health Promotion Program promotes conditions optimal for children's health and development.
Principal Activities and Services
Promote healthy neighborhoods, homes, child care and schools so that children can reach their full potential.
- Lead - hazard education and environmental inspections, in locations where children younger than six years of age live and spend time, to enforce Health Code requirements for lead hazard prevention. Case management support is available to families of lead-exposed children.
- Asthma - education and environmental screening in homes of asthma patients (adults and children) referred by their health care provider.
- Healthy Homes - education and environmental evaluation in homes of Women Infant & Children Supplemental Nutrition Program (WIC)-enrolled families upon request.
Information, Education and Training
Please contact our program staff if you are interested in learning more or if you would like to request a customized training for the topics listed below. These topics can be presented in English, Spanish, or Cantonese.
- Lead health effects and exposure prevention for pregnant women and children
- Lead-safe homes, child care, and workplaces
- Medical management of lead exposed children for health care providers
- Asthma management and prevention: asthma-safe homes, child care, schools and work-places
- Healthy housing concepts and solutions
- Habitable housing rights and resources
- Less toxic housecleaning
- Less toxic pest control
16 Steps to a Healthy Home - English | Spanish | Chinese
Related Agencies and Organizations
Environmental Health Apartment Inspection Program and Environmental Health Hotel and Emergency Shelter Program: These programs enforce all sanitation and pest control requirements of the SF Health Code in all types of housing.
Mayor's Office of Housing: Provides grants for lead hazard remediation for multi-unit and single family properties.
Department of Building Inspection (Housing Inspection Services): Enforces lead-safe work practices on pre-1979 structures.