News & Media |  Donate  |  Contact Us | 
Asked Questions
San Francisco Health Network

We're moving to, a user-centered, services-first, accessible website.

Environmental Health

Hazardous Materials & Waste Program: Chlorofluorocarbon Recovery and Recycling

Businesses servicing chlorofluorocarbon-containing units are required to use approved recycling equipment in order to reduce emission of ozone depleting compounds (chlorofluorocarbons). Any business that repairs, installs, dismantles or disposes of mobile air conditioning systems where chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) refrigerants are recovered or recycled are subject to regulation under the CFC Recovery and Recycling Ordinance and require a permit from the Hazardous Materials and Waste Program.

For more information on CFCs, review the CFC Frequently Asked Questions (pdf).


Business Responsibilities

Businesses that engage in the repair of mobile air conditioning units that contain CFC must obtain and maintain a valid permit. To obtain a permit:

  1. Send for the EPA self-administered training course and have each employee that operates the CFC equipment complete it. The training programs must include information on the proper use of equipment, the regulatory requirements, the importance of refrigerant recovery, and the effects of ozone depletion. In addition to taking the training course, technicians must pass a test demonstrating their knowledge in these areas. See the list of approved testing organizations or contact the Stratospheric Ozone Hotline at (800) 296-1966 for more information.
  2. Complete a CFC Permit Application (pdf). This form will be mailed to you together with all other Hazardous Materials Program application forms. CFC Recycling Permits are incorporated into the hazardous materials business plan program and issued as part of the Hazardous Materials Certificate of Registration.
  3. Submit the application form, copies of the CFC operator certificates and fees to the Hazardous Materials Program by your due date. Retain copies for your records
  4. Complete the Hazardous Materials Registration Packet (pdf).


Making a Complaint

If you would like to make a complaint, you may call 311.

311 City Customer Service Agency - Service 24x7

San Francisco Department of Public Health Environmental Health Branch