Obtaining a Massage Practitioner License
Obtaining a Permit for Outcall Massage Service
The Massage Program regulates businesses operating massage establishments in San Francisco to ensure that they maintain a safe and sanitary environment.
Employees of establishments and/or sole practitioners must also be licensed by the Program as massage practitioners unless they are certified by the California Massage Therapy Council.
Principal Activities and Services
- Permit and regulate massage establishments.
- License massage practitioners that are not certified by the California Massage Therapy Council.
- Conduct annual inspections of massage establishments.
- Respond to citizen complaints regarding unsanitary conditions.
- Review and approve plans for new construction or major remodeling.
Planning Department - Contact for more information if you wish to make a complaint regarding a home-based massage establishment. Call (415) 588-6377.
Department of Building Inspection Massage Information Page
California Massage Therapy Council
Making a Complaint
If you would like to make a complaint regarding a massage establishment, you may report a complaint to the Environmental Health Branch by calling 311.
- Service 24x7
San Francisco Department of Public Health Environmental Health Branch