News & Media |  Donate  |  Contact Us | 
Asked Questions
San Francisco Health Network

We're moving to, a user-centered, services-first, accessible website.

Environmental Health
Food Safety Program: Temporary and Special Events

Helpful Links

Temporary and Special Events Home

Structure Requirements

Food Handling Requirements

Other Permits That May Be Required

Program Contact

Kyle Chan
Senior Environmental Health Inspector

(415) 252 - 3837


Aron Wong
Senior Environmental Health Inspector

(415) 252 - 3913

Public vs Private Events

Community Public Event

The California Retail Food Code states a Community Event means an event that is of civic, political, public, or educational nature, including state and county fairs, city festivals, circuses, and other public gathering events approved by the local enforcement agency. An event is considered public and requires a Temporary Health Permit to Operate if the following describes the event:

  1. Event is free or a ticket/pass can be purchased by the general public.
  2. Event is advertised through media ‐ internet, newspaper, television, radio, and billboard.
  3. The general public would attend the event either by interest of the trade or advertisement of the event.


Private Event

An event is considered private and does not require a Temporary Health Permit to Operate if the following criteria are met:

  1. Event is invitation only or held for a private club or corporation.
  2. Participants need eligibility to attend, such as a professional licenses or certificate for the profession (e.g. doctors, lawyers, teachers, plumbers).